What next for the industrial strategy in the UK?
Westminster Business Forum Keynote Seminar
Dame Kate Barker, Chair, The Industrial Strategy Commission
Richard Baker, North East Local Enterprise Partnership;
Dr Peter Kenway, New Policy Institute
Mike Rigby, Barclays
The seminar will bring together stakeholders with policymakers as they consider the expected industrial strategy white paper following the consultation green paper earlier this year.
Delegates will assess priorities for developing the strategic framework to support implementation - including latest thinking on the effectiveness of sector deals and ensuring appropriate levels of government intervention.
Sessions will also discuss key challenges and opportunities ahead for supporting industrial growth and productivity post-Brexit, and will consider the future for existing initiatives such as the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund and the National Productivity Investment Fund
Overall, areas for discussion include:
- The strategy’s scope and focus: latest thinking on developing sector deals and ensuring effective levels of government intervention;
- Industrial innovation: perspectives on the most effective allocation of investment and developing the UK’s existing industrial strengths;
- Sector skills: future options for boosting STEM skills, proposals to improve technical education and priorities for tackling current and emerging skill gaps;
- Supporting business growth: ensuring policy provides the right environment for business growth, including access to finance in the context of the current patient capital review;
- Regional development: priorities for driving growth and economic investment throughout the UK, as well as how a strategy can best integrate existing regional initiatives such as the northern powerhouse; and
- Brexit: challenges and opportunities posed by Brexit to trade, investment and industrial growth.