Materials Failure Investigation Group Terms of Reference
The Materials Failure Investigation Group (The Group) has been set up to provide a forum for the exchange of information, knowledge and state-of-the-art industrial practice on all aspects of Materials Failure Investigation. It will seek to improve the understanding, techniques and execution of material failure investigation and to discover and qualify new techniques and technologies useful to this field of practice.
The Group will focus on all technical, educational and professional issues relating to Materials Failure Investigation. These issues are relevant to Institute members in many of the disciplines currently covered by the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3).
The Group will promote the subject area of Materials Failure Investigation at Institute supported events.
It will aim to promote professional activities relevant to the career development and job needs of workers in the sector and provide the opportunity for them to enter into membership of IOM3.
The Materials Failure Investigation Group will:
- Raise the profile of the Institute within the Materials Failure Investigation sector by working across and within the existing Institute Divisions, as well as with other learned bodies and external initiatives e.g. the Knowledge Transfer Networks.
- Establish links and work together with all appropriate sub-groups of the current Divisions of the Institute (including regional groups) which have an interest in Materials Failure Investigation by arranging appropriate seminars and workshops to draw together and give identity to this community and provide opportunities for cross-fertilisation within these different groups.
- Encourage training and professional development and put in place new provisions to meet future training needs.
- Develop links with other groups in the Materials Failure Investigation sector and also with areas of academia involved with research and learning programmes in this field.
- Develop and maintain a micro website as part of the main IOM3 website and use this to inform Members of new developments and activities of the Materials Failure Investigation Group.
- Develop and maintain relationships with related groups set up by other professional bodies in the UK and internationally, with the two-fold objective of:
- receiving informed input from organisations with specialist knowledge in areas of Materials Failure Investigation not adequately covered by the Group
- providing up-to-date information on contemporary Materials Failure Investigation developments to other groups working the sector, to further the use of new and improved techniques and technologies.
- Develop and disseminate good practice guidance documents to members on request.