Material Scientist - Superior Seals Limited, Wimborne
Reporting to the Head of Material Science, the candidate will work with the materials team supporting a number of material development projects ensuring that they meet the requirements of the brief and are completed within the agreed timelines and budgets.
- Assisting in design of experiments
- Practical lab work using polymer processing machinery
- Testing and analysis of experimental data to produce measurable, meaningful and marketable technical data to support material developments
- Follow company processes and best practice methods to effectively support material developments
- Work closely with product development, testing, operations to ensure coordination and timely delivery of material developments
- Ensure regular and accurate reporting of project status to Project Leader
- Seek continuous improvement of processes within the Technology department
- Building/maintaining business relationships with various external parties
The ideal candidate will have:
- Degree level (e.g. Chemistry, material science or polymer technology)
- The ability to develop compound formulations, using a wide range of polymer bases, to meet customers and/or industry specifications
- Ability to respond accurately and effectively to technical support enquiries
- Good time management and ability to work to tight deadlines
- Confident in all methods of communication
- Develop own knowledge through appropriate use of information sources
- Competent to undertake own material research with minimum guidance
- Knowledge of elastomers and their areas of application, in particular EPDM,FKM,VMQ and HNBR
- Knowledge of test procedures for characterisation of mechanical properties
- Practical experience of material science ideally from working in a related laboratory environment
Negotiable, depending on experience
As a leading manufacturer of high integrity o-rings and seals, every day at Superior we renew our commitment to a culture of continuous improvement in the design, manufacture and supply of o-rings and special mouldings.
Superior is a community where we invest in people who really care about the quality of their contribution to the company effort they are trained and motivated to take ownership of tasks, processes and responsibilities. The sharing of goals, accountability and rewards has helped us to define our sense of purpose. This shows in our attention to detail, from the bigger picture down to the most trivial of tasks. Our passion is integral.